Meeting for Worship on First Day
Ithaca Friends gather for unprogrammed Meeting for Worship on Sunday mornings in the following ways:
- Remotely at 10:30 am via Zoom.
- In-person at 10am at the Hector Meetinghouse. In-person Meeting for Worship at Hector continues at least through January, weather-permitting. Please check our groups.io listserv for updates.
Please note: Through at least March 14, 2021, there will be no in-person Meeting for Worship at our Third Street Meetinghouse.
Remote Meeting for Worship
Friends can join this online gathering using a computer, with or without a video camera, or by phone. Join online with this link or from your Zoom app with Meeting ID: 372 632 479 and password: friends You can also join by phone by calling (929) 205-6099 and entering Meeting ID: 372 632 479 when prompted. (If you are using Zoom on your computer for the first time, you might login a few minutes early so that you have a leisurely moment to get set up with the software.)
In-person Meeting for Worship
Third Street Meetinghouse
Through at least March 14, 2021, there will be no in-person Meeting for Worship at our Third Street Meetinghouse.
Friends are gathering for worship together on Sundays at 10am at the Hector Meetinghouse on Perry City Road. Friends must wear a mask, and practice social distancing. Weather permitting, we will be outside. When we are inside, please bring a towel to put down over the wooden benches to sit on. There is a port-a-pottie available. (See menu on the right for “Directions”.)
Members of the Communications Committee are willing to help you set up your computer or cell phone. Please contact Marin Clarkberg or Melissa Travis Dunham. We can walk you through the process by phone.
Meeting has opted to use Zoom as our online conference call and video conference tool because it’s relatively easy to use. The technology may seem strange at first, but we hope Friends will become more comfortable with Zoom after attending a meeting using this tool.
If you will be joining Meeting for Worship or the Daily Check In meetings online using your computer, tablet or smart phone, you will need to download Zoom before joining the meeting. You should do this at least 10-15 minutes before the start of our Zoom meeting, or you can download Zoom from their website at any time. This video explains how to download Zoom onto your computer. If you will be joining Zoom from a tablet or smart phone, look for the Zoom app where you usually download apps.
How to Use Zoom
To help you become familiar with Zoom, we suggest checking out these training resources:
- This page on the Zoom website includes a short video explaining how to join a Zoom meeting. The page also includes written details and images for the steps to join a meeting based on what type of device you’re using: Android smart phone or tablet, Mac, web browser, link from email, or telephone to call in.
- This longer video from the Creative Life Center provides clear, detailed instructions how how to join a Zoom meeting and navigate the meeting interface.
- The Zoom Help Center provides these step-by-step instructions on using their tool for either a PC or Mac.
Please note: if you’re only planning to use Zoom only to attend meetings and don’t plan to host any yourself, you do not need to create a username and password.
- If you’d like to test how your computer or phone will connect to Zoom before a scheduled meeting, you can join a test Zoom meeting at any time from this page.
- Consultant Craig Freshley (www.craigfreshley.com) has made available for public use, a guide to using Zoom for meetings.
- Sara Hubner, of Gonic (NH) Meeting, created this guide to using and troubleshooting Zoom meetings.
- Check out our list of Best Practices for Being in Remote Meeting for Worship
IMM does not currently have a Pastoral Care Committee. However, for the time being, Bronwyn Mohlke and Antonia Saxon are coordinating the needs of Friends and offers of support. Please email email@example.com if you need help or can help.
Maintaining IMM Community
As our Meeting and our wider community are taking steps to limit the spread of the novel coronavirus that has become a worldwide pandemic, we feel a sense of loss over the in-person connections. Our Ministry and Worship committee, along with others in Meeting, has been working to create opportunities for people to meet in worship and to support each other in spaces that are not face-to-face. You can look at our Calendar page to see what activities are planned.
Join our Community Group list serv in Groups.io to connect to others in our Meeting. Our main Meeting listserv is only used to share announcements and important information directly related to Ithaca Monthly Meeting. Our Community Group is a place where you can read and share non-Meeting announcements, news and other items you’ve found helpful, like poems, videos or stories. To sign up for this group, send an email to
community+subscribe@IMMRSF.groups.io. If you have difficulty, email Marin Clarkberg or Melissa Travis Dunham for assistance.
Connecting with Spirit more broadly
Emily Provence, Clerk of New York Yearly Meeting’s Ministry Coordinating Committee has put together several articles and other resources to help Friends stay connected. You can find her suggestions on her website. Included on her site is information about non-physical gathering for worship and how to clerk online meetings. Emily is also hosting Daily Family Devotionals for families and children. You can sign up to receive emails about these Devotionals by filling out the form linked on her website.
Quaker Kathleen Wooten is a member of New England Yearly Meeting and maintains a website about “Being the Church Online”. Kathleen has been updating this page with new information and resources, including how to use Zoom.
New York Yearly Meeting offers Young Adult Friends (YAF) opportunities for community and spiritual development with other young adults. Check out the YAF Facebook page for more information and to see what virtual events they have scheduled.