The Burtt House Working Group (BHWG) seeks to build upon the broad sharing that emerged in the gatherings held in the Fall, attended by a large number of Ithaca Friends. The Group is proposing a second round of worship sharing meetings for us to hear Friends’ thoughts, feelings, and reflections as we consider the role of the building in the life of Ithaca Meeting.
Three sessions are planned:
- Sunday, January 15, 2023 , 12:30-2:00 pm: in-person only at the Third Street Meeting House
- Wednesday, January 18, 6:00-7:30 pm: online only via Zoom. See below for Zoom information
- Sunday, January 22, 2023, 9:00 am: Hybrid format, in person at the Third Street Meetinghouse and via Zoom. See below for Zoom information
Queries to Focus Our Sharing in these Gatherings:
- How has the Burtt House contributed to the Meeting’s Quaker life in living out Friends’ testimonies?
- How has the Burtt House helped me live out my faith as an individual?
- What would it mean to you as a Friend if Ithaca Monthly Meeting released the Burtt House? What would it mean to Ithaca Monthly Meeting as a community to release the Burtt House?
Friends are invited to address whichever of these queries calls forth a response from your own experience, and to attend as many of the sessions as feasible. Your responses to this are part of the fabric of the Meeting. These stories are our stories.
These gatherings continue to be “Meetings for Listening” without problem-solving or arriving at any decisions. In the first round many of us were able to discern inner movement on distinct layers of our own memory, learning, and connections to our fellow Friends.
One thread through the first round was that some Friends have questions on points of history, e.g., information about the bequest, and past minutes and decisions regarding the property. BHWG is compiling links to available documentation.
Please resolve to attend at least one of the January worship sharing sessions.
Questions and comments are welcome.
Angela Hopkins, Antonia Saxon, Gina Varicchio, Nancy Gabriel, Steve Mohlke.
Zoom Information for the Burtt House Discussions
Click the button below or use the Zoom meeting information listed here to participate in the discussions online on January 18 or January 22.
Meeting ID: 840 1819 9474
To join by phone dial 929-205-6099 and enter meeting ID: 840 1819 9474 when prompted.